Our 2018 programme
The 2018 IYM programme will be held on 8 - 13 July, during the school holidays. Students will stay at Silverstream Retreat, Lower Hutt and travel each day to a variety of technology businesses, research institutes and tertiary education providers in the Wellington region.
Participants will experience a range of technologies through hands-on activities and be inspired by other women who have built careers and businesses in the technology and innovation sector. These women are leaders in a range of science and technology fields and are passionate about their careers in the sector.
Here are just a few of the highlights of the 2018 programme that we are excited about!
- Learn about Antarctic ice cores and get up close and personal with an electron scanning microscope at Victoria University
- Experience cutting-edge virtual reality technologies at the new Te Auaha Institute of Creativity
- Play fossil detective, learn about fabric forensics, and make your own ice cream using liquid nitrogen at GNS Science
- Explore the chemistry behind new 'smart' paint that can switch on lights, and help test used plastic bottles being turned into brand new food containers
- Visit Parliament for a networking reception with some of New Zealand's leading scientists, innovators and politicians
Check out the full 2018 draft programme [PDF, 479 KB]. (Please note all speakers and activities are subject to change.)
The cost to students is $120. The balance of the program costs are covered by the program sponsors.
- Feb 27: Programme launch and applications open
- May 4: Closing date for applications
- June 8: Applicants notified if accepted
- July 8: Programme start
- July 13: Programme end